These little morsels are heaven in a ball! Using the classic jaffa flavour combination of chocolate and orange I have managed to come up with my very own version. A healthy-clean-nourishing variant of these old favourites. They taste incredibly deee-licious. These beauties are sure to tantalise your taste buds. The best thing is, you can actually enjoy the chocolate orange flavour of the jaffa without feeling like you’ve committed a sin.
These jaffa balls come with NO Gluten NO sugar NO dairy and absolutely NOOOO guilt. These little rolled goodies make the perfect mid-morning or afternoon pick me up, school lunch box snack or late night munchies solution.
So I won’t hold you any longer. Here is the recipe for these yummy little chocolate orange bliss balls.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 8 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 12 drops sweet orange essential oil* (see notes below)
Optional: Chocolate Drizzle
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup (to taste)
* Orange oil is beautifully refreshing, uplifting and energising. I specifically chose to use orange essential oil in this recipe as I find it creates a much more intense flavour than using the rind and juice of the orange itself.
You can find orange essential oil at your local health food store. Please note: I am not talking about synthetic fragrance. Essential oils are pure, natural compounds extracted from plants. It is what gives the plant its beautiful aroma. In the case of an orange, the oil is extracted from the skin. When you cut open a fresh orange it is this very oil that you are smelling.
- Place almonds, dates, cacao powder and orange oil in a high speed blender. Whiz until mixture is sticky and wet. * If the mixture is too dry add a tiny dash of water to help hold mixture together
- Roll mixture into balls
- If making chocolate drizzle- combine all ingredients and whisk/blend until a smooth liquid
- Drizzle over your jaffa balls and refrigerate